Sunday, June 14, 2009

Using JavaRebel to speed up development

I was at the last JavaMUG.org meeting where the creators of JavaRebel demonstrated how this software helps out by eliminating the need to restart Tomcat or the JVM while changing classes. The presentation was very compelling but I don't just jump to every piece of software that comes along which promises to help out development speed. However, I went ahead and tried it out the day after the meeting while I needed to make some changes to some code. It really worked. After a little configuration change to my development setup to put the classes in the WEB-INF/classes directory instead of a jar file in the WEB-INF/lib it was working. I made several changes to the classes and refreshed the browser, BINGO, changes were recognized. This must have saved me a few minutes of development time already in the short amount of time that I have been using it. It should save hours in the next year.

No comments: