Friday, June 20, 2008

Java User Group Meetings in June

This month I made a attempt to make several user group meetings in the Dallas area. The first one was the Java-Mug meeting last week. This month topic was Groovy. I like the concepts of Groovy that allows it to integrate with Java so well. I don't know how much I'll use it in project yet but I will keep it in mind.

The next one that I went to was the Grails talk at the Spring Users group. Grails seems a little like what we did in another project with PHP. It was never published and wasn't as complete as Grails but the same ideas. I might use Grails if I use Groovy for some quick prototyping. I'll just have to see...

The next day I went to the Next Big JDK Thing. They are starting a multi-month discussion on JRuby. My goal was to find out about JRuby and how it fits into Java. However, for what I saw it looks a little hacky. The Java connects are cumbersome and just doesn't visually fit in my opinion. The odds of me using JRuby is very slim. However, I can't wait for the November meeting on JavaFX...

Brian

No comments: