Sunday, June 8, 2008

Lone Star NFJS Conference Day 2

Day 2 started out with a little drooling... I'm mean Drools rules engine. I wanted to attend this talk by Brian Sam-Bodden to evaluate it's possible use with the business rules that tends to be wrote over and over in most programs. I think that it is possible but I don't really have a warm fuzzy about using Drools yet as I don't know if this is a technology to stay long term. Side note: What is long term in this business? Who knows.

The next conference was the one that I was waiting for the Spring Security talk. Looking back I wish that I attended more of the Spring conferences (the other two) but it's ok. I learned a lot from the ones that I attended. Anyway, Craig Walls discussion on the spring security helped me to understand from a high level view how to implement the security models around my code. Thanks Craig for you dedication to Spring. I will be using this in some not so future projects.


The last two talks that I attended were by Neal Ford. Neal is a fabulous speaker. He keeps your attention with examples and illustrations. Neal talked about test driven design and then code metrics. Both discussions were very enlightening. This may be the session that will have the biggest impact on my coding. I have been thinking that there is a better way to develop, test at the same time and regression test. This is it! I can’t wait to start my new future of coding. Thanks Neal!

Lastly, we had the Birds of the Feather meeting. This is where we sit down with some of the speakers and talk one-on-one. They had the sessions Architecture, Dynamic languages and Spring/Hibernate. I went with the one for Spring. Not because of Craig Walls but because this gave me a little more in depth look into Spring. A good side effect of this is that I was able to meet Brian Sam-Bodden and get to know him a little more. It may not have been as beneficial as the classes themselves but I still enjoyed it.

Keep posted for tomorrows update.
Brian

No comments: